Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Too Many Eggs Curry

So part of signing up for a CSA is that you have to cook with whatever you get. Mine currently includes a dozen eggs every two weeks, which is almost a dozen more eggs than I usually cook with. So how about egg curry?! I've seen this before, but never tried it. Not sure I got it quite right, but it wasn't bad.

This follows more or less the standard procedure:

0) Hard boil a few eggs (I had 3 of them left), cool, peel, and cut in half.

1) Fry 1 tsp black mustard seeds, 2 tsp cumin seeds, several curry leaves in 1 tbsp of ghee.

2) When the seeds start to pop, add in your minced garlic, ginger, and hot pepper, frying for a couple of minutes.

3) Toss in 3 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped, and some salt. Cover for a few minutes, letting the tomatoes cook down.

4) Mix in powdered spices and fry for another minute: 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chile powder, 1 tbsp cumin powder.

5) Pour in about 1/2 a cup of coconut milk (I actually put in about twice this much which was probably a bit too much) and simmer for about a minute.

6) Throw in the sliced eggs and simmer for another, then serve on rice! I think the next time I make this I'll add in some potatoes to make it a bit more hearty.

No comments:

Post a Comment