Thursday, March 10, 2011

CSA'ing

No cooking was done tonight, but that didn't stop me from getting more ingredients! I just got my first farm share from the CSA I joined. CSA = Community Supported Agriculture. If you don't know about it already, the way it works is that you basically sign up to receive a regular supply of vegetables from a local farm, paying a big chunk of it in advance. This helps the farmer with their cash flow, and allows you to have a closer relationship with the people from whom you buy your food. Each week (or every other week) you get a box of whatever veggies are in season, so you have to figure out what to make with what you get. I signed up for a 7-week spring share with Rockville Market Farm, located in Starksboro, VT. Every other week I can pick up my shipment at the grocery store by my apartment from some friendly folks that work on the farm. Since there are not a whole lot of veggies in season in Massachusetts right now, they send some greenhouse crops along with some locally sourced produce like eggs, cheese, and bread. Today I got some potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets, and onions along with some goat cheese, eggs, and a big loaf of bread! I don't think I've ever cooked with turnips or beets before, so it will force me to try something new! Whatever that is, I will try to post it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment