Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Those are Spicy Coconuts

For some reason when I was thinking of what to cook tonight the combination of dried coconut, cashews, and raisins came to mind. I couldn't really figure out what I wanted to add to this, but wanted something vegetarian at least. To counter my more recent carnivorous leanings. In the end I went with potatoes, corn, and a whole bunch of hot pepper.

I started by dry roasting the coconut until it started to turn light brown. I am not sure why I did this. I must have read it somewhere, seemed like a good idea. I set it aside before moving on to the rest of the job.



Then I added some ghee to the pot along with a few handfuls of raw cashew, a few cardamom pods, and some dried curry leaves (dried ones are what they were selling today, so that is what I bought). Once the cashews started to brown I added a good handful chopped hot pepper. Two notes: don't actually use your hands on the chopped hot pepper, you might regret it later. Also maybe you want to use only one or two hot peppers. That is also fine. A short while later, two chopped tomatoes joined the pot followed by a few shakes of salt. Here is what that looks like after the tomatoes decided to melt down a bit and with a bit of turmeric and coriander powder tossed in:



Finally I added three small potatoes cut into cube-like shapes, a bit more salt, some water, the toasted coconut, and a handful of raisins. Bringing the whole thing to a boil, I added some frozen corn that I defrosted while you were reading the part just above. Once the potatoes finally yielded to only a slight nudge from my fork I declared things to be ready. To get to this point I had to add a bit of water along the way, but never too much as I wanted the final product to be a bit more dry. I ate mine with some paratha and a 400 pound monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment